Thursday, May 15, 2008

Fence Post Interview: Karen Wilson (Executive Director of The Unforgettables Foundation)

Karen is the Executive Director for The Unforgettables Foundation. They are the charity that Tara selected to benefit from the sales of her shirts. Karen answered a few interview questions for our blog. And, as a side note, this picture of Karen was taken right after she cut 13 inches off all of her hair and donated it Locks of Love.

What is the purpose of The Unforgettables Foundation? We have 2 roles: The first is to help families with burial assistance expenses after the death of a child (ages 0-18). We assist 300-400 families a year. Secondly, in an effort to save lives, we offer free CPR training. We travel to schools, businesses and community agencies.

How and when did you become involved in the organization? A friend of mine was on their board of directors and I mentioned to her I was looking to leave my job as a full time school administrator and she suggested I apply for their part-time executive director position and I did!

Scrapbooking product you can't live without? I think I use glue dots on every thing I create. I have them everywhere--even my 5 and 7 year olds use them. I also love Bazzill cardstock.

Your perfect day would be... Just hanging out without a "to-do" list! Ideally, waking up early, eating a yummy breakfast, getting a pedicure, spending the afternoon at an uncrowded beach with my family, having a bon fire and s'mores, coming home to scrapbook!

1 person you wish you could have over for dinner? McDreamy :)

What is 1 thing you would like everyone to know about The Unforgettables Foundation? We are working really hard to expand outside of California but need community volunteers to make that happen in their city.

Favorite Scrapbook Idea Books? All of the Cathy Zielske books--they are awesome and fun to read!

Favorite Album Ever Created? It had to be my first, it was a ABC album of my kids. I did it as a gift for my mom.

Tell us about your Unforgettable Crop for Kids... Our first Crop for Kids was held in January 2008 and it was an amazing success--we raised over $17,000!! We had make-n-takes with Stephanie Akerman (CK Media), Cheryl Waters (FISKARS), Leah Fung (MAKING MEMORIES), Donna Salazar (PRIMA), & Candice Carpenter. We are having our 2009 event on February 21st in Redlands, California. The cost is $100 per person and that covers all meals, snacks, drinks, goodie bags, and lots of surprises, make-n-takes and more!! Registration will open in July and even people who can't attend ours can have a crop in their town and donate the proceeds back to us. It really is an amazing cause and all of the money goes to help the families. I knew this fundraiser would work because anytime you take a cause and a hobby you are passionate about you will be successful!

No comments: